"On Track" The treatment and prevention of lameness in dairy cattle
A guidebook commissioned by GippsDairy
Dr Rod Irwin
Dr Jakob Malmo
The successful treatment, control and prevention of lameness in dairy cattle needs a combination of relevant data, current information, broad knowledge, open and analytical minds, patience, teamwork, resources, motivation, and labour.
These guidelines and factsheets aim to:
- provide a base of current information in a reader-friendly format,
- increase knowledge about lameness treatment and control in the dairy farming population,
- improve treatment techniques,
- provide a comprehensive list of strategies to better control lameness,
- improve the welfare of dairy cattle,
- promote cooperation between dairy farmers and their advisors,
- reduce human stress and financial losses associated with lameness,
- and so improve the viability of the Australian Dairy Industry.
The authors would like to acknowledge the following people who have all made valuable contributions to this guidebook:
Neil Chesterton, Paul Hemsworth, Gabriel Milinovich, Bill Tranter, Darren Trott, and Jos Vermunt, and to the following people who have assisted in the initial stages of the "On Track" project: Phillip Chamberlain, John Craven, Sandra Jefford, Tim Nelson, the GippsDairy Board, and the dairy farmers of Gippsland.
Our sincere thanks