On Track - Lameness Guidebook
Individual cow guidelines
1. Understand normal foot anatomy.
2. Examine and treat lame cows safely.
3. Examine and treat lame cows promptly.
4. Purchase, maintain and use the correct equipment.
5. How to lift a cow's foot.
6. How to examine a cow's foot.
7. When to seek expert opinion or assistance.
8. Know when to use antibiotics.
9. Take action when you see adverse changes to cow behaviour.
10. Construct and maintain high quality walking surfaces.
11. Construct and maintain tracks and yards to permit ideal cow flow.
12. Do not act in a way that causes adverse changes to cow behaviour.
13. Control moisture and wetness in the cow's environment.
14. In an outbreak of footrot, reduce bacterial contamination of the environment.
15. Avoid nutritional imbalances.
16. Consider the conformation of bulls and cows used for breeding herd replacements.